You might have seen or used a leather punch before. Remember the tool “thingy” you or someone used to make extra holes in your belt? That was a type of leather punch.
Leather punches are designed to easily cut holes through thick and thin leather material, so you can use them to create holes for lacing, rivets, snaps, or other fasteners.
Continue reading this leather punch guide as I cover the following relevant topics;
- What leather punches are,
- What they do,
- The different types of leather punches,
- How to use the leather punch,
- The benefits of using the leather punch,
- How to care for your leather punch, and lastly,
- Where to buy one.
Let’s get into it!
What Are Leather Punches?
Leather punches are tools with a shaped end designed to cut holes in leather. For example, a leather punch can be used to put a hole in a belt or watch strap.
While a typical or professional leather punch will be cylindrical in shape with a sharp cutting edge and a leather residue outlet, there are leather punches that come with revolving or interchangeable cutting heads.
Leather punches come in various sizes and diameters, making them suitable for different types and weights of leather.
The different types of leather punches have a variety of uses and are available in various designs and sizes, depending on the job they are used for.
The sharp pointed tips can easily puncture through thick and thin leather materials in a very short time.
Leather punches are also known as hole punches, and they are also commonly used in making jewelry, wallets, bags, and other craft items that require precise holes.
What Are Leather Punches Used For?
Leather punches cut holes into leather material so that they can be laced, riveted, snapped, or fastened together.
In addition, leather punches are also used by crafters to make small holes in leather items such as wallets, bags, and jewelry.
These types of holes can then be decorated or embellished with decorative elements such as grommets, rivets, studs, and buttons for a unique look!
Leather punches can also be used to enlarge existing holes and make them bigger.
I have used leather punches to create patterns in the leather as a decorative technique.
The Different Types of Leather Punches
There are several different types of leather punches available on the market today. Here are some of the most popular ones;
- Rotary Punch
- Drive Punch
- End Punches
1. The Rotary Punch
The rotary punch is a type of leather punch with a revolving that comes in several sizes and shoes of hole-cutting dies.
This type of punch is very useful when making multiple holes in a single piece of leather.
It is fast and easy to use and can easily cut through thick leather. The rotary punch has a utility action similar to a pair of scissors.
2. The Drive Punch Or Hole Punches
This is your regular type of leather punch used to make small holes of all sizes and shapes.
It’s usually made of a strong metal cylinder with a shape cutting edge and is most commonly used for making small round holes.
3. The End Punches
The end punches are specifically designed to punch the edges of leather straps or belts.
They are mostly used to give the leather edge a rounded or pointed edge, so the leather strap is able to fit through the buckle or fastener.
These punches are also known as “edge punches,” and they come in several shapes, although the most popular is the pointed end punch.
How To Use A Leather Punch
Using a leather punch is quite an easy process; however, there are some important points to keep in mind when using one.
- First, make sure that the leather is clean and free of dirt, as this will help avoid any potential damage to the leather and punching tool.
- Next, check the type of punch you are using and make sure you have the correct hole size for your project.
- Make sure to place the leather to be punched on a nylon surface and the nylon surface should be on a much sturdier surface like a stone slab or wooden slab.
- Once everything is set, firmly position and hold the leather punch over the leather with one hand and use a mallet or maul to drive the punch through the leather, ensuring that you apply even pressure throughout.
- You can ensure two to three hits to ensure that the hole is properly cut.
- Do not try to punch the hole all in one go.
The Benefits of Using A Leather Punch
Punches are important tools for any leatherworker. They are used to create clean holes in leather, which can then be used for stitching, lacing, or other purposes.
A good punch will have a sharp tip that creates a precise hole and a strong handle that doesn’t slip when you’re working.
Leather punches come in a variety of sizes, so you can choose the one that’s right for your project.
While you can use a sharp knife to create holes in leather, it’s much easier and safer to use a punch.
With a punch, you can control the size and shape of the hole, and you don’t have to worry about accidentally cutting yourself.
So if you’re looking for a versatile and easy-to-use tool for your next leatherworking project, consider investing in a good leather punch.
How To Care For Your Leather Punch
A leather punch is a handy tool to have around, whether you’re a crafter or just someone who likes to be prepared for the unexpected.
But like all tools, it requires some care and maintenance to keep it in top condition.
Here are a few tips on how to care for your leather punch:
- Store your punch in a dry, cool place when not in use. Humidity can cause the metal to rust.
- Periodically oil the moving parts of the punch, such as the screw to keep them operating smoothly. A light oil such as WD-40 will do the trick.
- When not in use, cover the business end of the punch with a cap or sheath to protect it from damage. This will also help to keep the point sharp.
- Always use a mallet or maul and not a hammer when using the punch. Hammering can cause damage to the tool and workpiece.
By following these simple guidelines, you can ensure that your leather punch will last many years.
In conclusion, as you can see, there are a lot of different types of leather punches available, each with its own purpose.
It’s important to remember that there is no one-size-fits-all option when it comes to choosing the right punch for your project.
Rather, you’ll need to consider the size and shape of the hole(s) needed as well as the type of leather you’re working with.
By doing so, you’ll be able to select the best punch for your needs and ensure that your project turns out perfect.