The thread snipper is an effective tool for snipping threads when sewing. It’s a fantastic tool that will save you a lot of time and effort. Stick around to find out more about this simple but highly practical tool.
What is a Thread Snipper?
The thread snipper tool also known as the thread clipper or nipper is made to snip off thread ends when sewing. It’s a helpful tool because it offloads the burden from having to cut using your fingers all the time like you would with most scissors to using in most cases the palm.
The thread snippers are generally about 4-5 inches long with around 2-3 inches cutting edge and it usually comes with a spring action that makes it easy to press together to trim threads.
There are a variety of threads or materials you will be able to use the thread snipper to cut and these include pure cotton threads, nylon threads, polyester threads, etc. Thread snippers have really sharp blades and can also be used to cut a variety of fabrics as well.
You’d know by now that in most crafts, it’s usually the little things that add up that help make projects really successful. The thread Snipper is a little cutting tool that does a fantastic job at trimming threads and giving it a nice blunt edge that won’t fray.
The thread snipper is a sewing tool and so can be found in most sewing shops and crafts tools shop near you or online platforms.
Why Do You Need A Thread Snipper
Here are a couple of reasons why I think the thread snipper would be of great help to you.
1. Comfortable To Use
The thread Snipper gives you a lot more comfort when cutting and trimming off threads. You will pick them up and cut threads with the least amount of effort than scissors or knife.
With the thread snipper, you’re basically not entirely cutting with your fingers but instead you will be applying pressure with your palm to cut threads. This makes it perfect for people with arthritis in their hands.
2. To Prevent Blunt Spots On Scissors
Usually, the size of cutting edge you will need to cut or trim threads is around 3-quarters-of-an-inch and the thread Snipper comes with that precise edge.
If you were to use you’re regular scissors to constantly work that 3-quarters-of-an-inch, then what’s going to happen is that you will wear a blunt spot on your scissors.
3. Makes Sewing and Stitching Faster
With your thread snipper in hand, you would be able to make quick trims on your threads and continue to sew without stopping for too long as you go along. Some thread snippers are designed in a way that it can be hanged from the third finger and ready to use as and when.
The thread snipper is especially ideal for fast-paced production. They can be attached to a holder around the neck or arm for ready use. The thread snipper can also be placed in most cases on the bed of the sewing machine or wrapped around its cylinder so it can be easily reached and used.
4. Precision Thread Cuts
While there are a few thread snippers that are not made specifically for precision cuts, generally, a typical thread snippers will have a nice sharp pointed tip that will make it easy to go down to the ends of threads to snip off leaving behind no or only tiny ends you can easily burn off with a thread zapper.
This when compared to using scissors, you will notice the thread snippers does a much better job with threads.
It’s also a really great tool for bead weaving projects, leather work projects and any project that you will need to get into tight corners to make trimmings on threads.
Guide To Buying The Best Thread Snippers
Generally, all thread snippers you will get will do the same job of snipping thread ends and possibly be able to cut a few other materials. However, there are a few characteristics that will set them apart.
Based on these characteristics, I have put together the most important factors to consider when getting a thread snipper. These factors are;
- Brand: Generally, big brands in particular niches of products will always want to maintain a certain quality standard to ensure the continuous trust of their brand. In the space of thread snippers, brands like SINGER, Gingher, Fiskars, etc are a must-go-to.
- Material: Some of the most common materials you will want to consider for a thread snipper are the ones similar to those used for scissors such as stainless steel blades and a plastic or rubber handles etc.
- Weight: The weights of the thread snipper may or may not be important. However, what I find important with this factor is that people with arthritis of the hands will really appreciate the light-weightiness or other ergonomic design of a thread snipper.
- Grip: The thread snippers come with different forms of grips. For long continuous snips, you would want something with a finger loop for a comfortable grip. The ones without a finger loop will do just fine if you only require quick snips on threads as you go along with your sewing.
- Blade Mechanism: The mechanism your thread snipper uses when the blades are pressed together is commonly a spring load.
- Price: Depending on the kind of quality you would want with your thread snipper, they can cost all the way up to a $100 and over. But the ones highlighted in this article are of the best quality and are nowhere near the $100 dollar mark. So button line is, thread snippers can be expensive but with the help of this post, you will find one which is great for you and is budget friendly.
Don’t just pick out any type of thread snipper, but pick out one that is tailored for your needs and budget.
Best Thread Snippers Reviews
Here are some of my favorite thread snippers and these are chosen according to the factors listed above.
So the best thread snippers in no particular order are:
- Gingher Thread Nippers – (Best For Heavy Yarns and Thick Fabric)
- Fiskars Crafts Thread Snip – (Best Safety Thread Snipper)
- SINGER Thread Snips – (Best For Budget Pick)
- Thread Cutterz Snipper – (Best Gift Item)
- Thread Cutterz Ring – (Best Wearable & Child-friendly Thread Snipper)
# Top Pick!
1. Gingher Thread Nippers – (Best For Heavy Yarns and Thick Fabric)
- Brand: Gingher
- Material: Double Plated Hot Forged Chrome
- Weight: 0.31 oz
- Grip: Finger Loop
- Blade Mechanism: Spring-action
- Price: $25-$28
The House of Gingher shears started out in the late 1940s making cutting tools for the textile industry. With the technological advancements and top-notch engineering, Gingher today offers top of the line premier quality cutting tools in the home sewing, crafts, needlework, and industry niche.
Because of the level of quality it offers, that’s why it’s one of my top pick for this article.
If you want a heavy duty thread snipper that you can as well hold while still sewing, then the Gingher thread snipper is your best bet.
The Gingher thread snipper are best for snipping threads, yarns and multiple layers of fabric in sewing crafts and needle arts.
- Can be griped in a multiple ways for supreme comfort due to its superior ergonomic design.
- Very Sharp even on its very tips.
- Nice feather weight.
- Snips threads cleanly and effortlessly.
- Sturdy and long-lasting.
- Comes from a highly trusted brand.
- It doesn’t have a lock to keep its blade closed when not in use.
If you’re interested in the Gingher thread snipper, you can check it out over here on Amazon for more information about pricing and shipping.
# Unique Model Design Pick!
2. Fiskars Crafts Thread Snip – (Best Safety Thread Snipper)
- Brand: Fiskars
- Material: Stainless Steel Blades & Plastic
- Weight: 1.6 Ounces
- Grip: Soft grip touch-points
- Blade Mechanism: Spring-action
- Price: $14-$16
The House of Fiskars has been in the general tools industry since 1649 and over the years have grown to become a global supplier of consumer products for the home, garden and outdoors.
Fiskars tailor their products to solve everyday problems, making daily home, garden and outdoor projects easier and more enjoyable through superior performance and design.
Fiskars has thrived not only due to its consistently solving everyday problems but also till today it offers high quality tools and because of this, their thread snipper is an absolute great addition to our top pics.
The Fiskars thread snipper has a really versatile application and can be used to easily snip threads, fabric, ribbon, floss, yarn, etc.
If you’re especially into really good looking tools that are simply cool and at the same time are really efficient, then the Fiskars thread snipper is an obvious choice for you.
- In-built blade guard offers
- Very safe to use
- Easy to store and travel with.
- Beautiful design.
- Sharp pointed tips offers unmatched control for trimming in tight spaces.
- Very easy to use.
- Has a very comfortable soft grip.
- Full Lifetime Warranty.
- It will feel big in the hands of people with small hands.
If you’re interested in the Fiskars thread snipper, then you can check it out it’s current price over here on Amazon since they’re always changing.
3. SINGER Thread Snips – (Best Budget Pick)
- Brand: SINGER
- Material: Steel & Rubber
- Weight: 1.44 ounces
- Grip: Rubberized Handle
- Blade Mechanism: Spring-action
- Price: $8-$10
Since the early 1850s, the name SINGER, while it sounds like a music shop, is on the contrary synonymous with sewing. Till today, the spirit of practical design and creative innovation still characterizes the SINGER brand.
The House of SINGER is dedicated to helping people express themselves through the craft of sewing with the best of the best of sewing equipments and accessories.
Because of its uncompromisingly high-quality standards, the SINGER thread snipper makes for a great choice in thread snippers.
If you’re on budget and looking for a fairly low priced thread snipper that’s highly durable and comes from a renowned brand, then the SINGER thread snipper is a great choice.
- Fine tip blade for precise cuts.
- Each pair is individually inspected and hand tested.
- High quality.
- Come with a lifetime guarantee.
- Comfortable grip.
- Comes from a world renowned brand
- Blades can’t be locked closed when not in use.
- Not be suitable for left handed people.
If you’re interested in the SINGER thread snipper, you can check it out over here on Amazon for latest prices and any additional information you may require.
4. Thread Cutterz Snipper – (Best Gift Item)
- Brand: Thread Cutterz
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 1.44 ounces
- Grip: Retractable Cord , Clip, Squeeze handle
- Blade Mechanism: Spring-action & Lock
- Price: $17-$20
This Snipper is from SewVeryEasy, a brand that’s all about sewing, sewing ideas, patterns, and they also have a couple tools in their Arsenal.
The House of SewVeryEasy does a great job of coming up with great tools that are very practical and tailored to solve sewing problems. Because of this, I’m happy to share one of their most practical tools: the thread snipper.
If you’re in search of something with a cute design, practical and a perfect gift item, then the thread Cutterz snipper is a great choice.
- It’s safe to use due to its blade locking mechanism.
- The cutting blades are long lasting.
- The 36 inch retractor cord allows you position it, pull on it and use then it retracts back to its position.
- It’s a great cutting solution for use on planes, trains, etc.
- Not so great for heavy duty cutting
If you’re interested in the Thread Cutterz snipper, you can find it over here on Amazon!
5. Thread Cutterz Ring (Best Wearable & Child-friendly Thread Snipper)
- Brand: Thread Cutterz
- Material: Stainless Steel, Plastic & Nylon, etc.
- Weight: 1.28 ounces
- Grip: wrap around or Wearable
- Blade Mechanism: Pull-on
- Price: $10-$12
This snipper is another unique design from the Thread Cutterz brand. It’s basically a thread snipper you can wear around your finger like a ring or wrap around your sewing machine or anything close to you where you’re working for easy accessibility.
If you want a thread snipper that you can wear around your fingers or wrap on anything suitable and will be super safe around your kids and pets,Then this thread snipper ring is perfect for you.
- It’s blade is well covered but very effective at making clean cuts.
- Very safe to use around kids and pets.
- You will never cut yourself with this tool.
- It’s strap is adjustable and so can be adjust to be worn on the finger or wrapped on the sewing machine.
- Safe to travel with on all forms of public transport.
- Great for cutting fishing lines.
- Cannot be used to make precision cuts on thread ends.
If you’re interested in the ring thread snipper, you can check it out on Amazon for additional information.
How to Keep Your Thread Snippers in Peak Condition
Here are a few tips to help keep your thread snippers in perfect condition.
- Wipe the inner parts of the blades with a clean soft cloth after it’s used. This will prevent the snipper from crunching when closing.
- Avoid dropping them.
- If you prefer to make quick trims off the edges of your materials with the thread snipper, you can use a little machine oil over the blades.
- Never over-use them on anything that’s not thread or cord.
How do you sharpen a thread snipper or sewing snip?
The thread snipper or sewing snip can be sharpened using a simple method of cutting through foil. To sharpen your thread snipper using the foil method, here are a few simple steps you can use to render it sharp.
- Fold 2-3 layers of foil.
- Cut through the the foil with the thread snipper ensuring every aspect of the blade of the snipper touches and cuts the foil thoroughly.
- Repeat the cuts 10-15 times and check if the blade is coming to sharpness. Keep cutting till the snipper is completely sharp.