Patent leather pants are a classic wardrobe staple, but they can often be quite noisy when you walk. In this article, we will show you how to make patent leather pants not squeak so that you can wear them with confidence.
But first, let’s take a look at why patent leather pants squeak so that we can understand how to fix the problem.
Why Do Patent Leather Pants Squeak?
There are a few causes of squeaking sounds when wearing patent leather pants. Here are a few of the most common reasons:
- Patent Leather Pants Are Too Tight
If your patent leather pants are not of the right size or if they are too tight, they will likely squeak when you walk. This is because the fabric will be stretched too tightly across your skin, which will create friction and noise.
When this is the case, you will find that there will be squeaking sounds coming from the legs, thighs, or crotch areas. In some instances, you will only have squeaking sounds when you walk or move around in a certain way.
- The Patent leather Pant Is New
Another common cause of patent leather pants squeaking is the fact that they are new. This happens because the material has not been broken in yet and it is still stiff.
As the patent leather pants start to wear over time, the noise will stop. However, if you can’t wait for them to break in naturally, there are a few things you can do which I will share later in this post.
- Patent Leather Pants Are Not Lubricated
Another reason why patent leather pants can squeak is that they are not lubricated properly. Beneath the shiny surface of the patent leather is oftentimes real leather.
If this leather is not lubricated or conditioned from time to time, the patent leather pants will be stiff – causing them to make noise when you walk.
- Patent Leather Pants Are Worn Out
While new patent leather pants will sometimes make noise, old and worn-out patent leather pants will definitely make noise. This is because as the patent. This is because the fabric has become thin and stretched from repeated wear.
In this case, there is not much you can do to stop the noise except buy a new pair of pants.
- Patent Leather Pants Are Made of Cheap Material
In some instances, a lot of the noise you would be experiencing will be because your patent leather pants are made of cheap material. If your patent leather pants are made of cheap material, they are more likely to squeak than those made of a higher quality. While this may not always be the case it is important to add that it is a possibility.
- Patent Leather Pants Might Be Wet On The Surface
Last but not least, another possibility for patent leather pants squeaking is that they might be wet on the surface. If you have just come in from the rain, the patent leather pants could squeak as you walk, sit, or even rub your hands over them.
In such instances, a simple fix would be to use a dry clean cloth to wipe the surface of the pants and remove any moisture. Once the pants are completely dry, the noise should stop.
How to Make Patent Leather Pants Not Squeak
Now that we know the reasons why patent leather pants squeak, let’s take a look at how to fix the problem.
1. Break-In The Patent Leather Pants
One of the easiest ways to make patent leather pants not squeak is to break them in. To break in leather means to soften it or make it more flexible. The easiest way to do this is by wearing them regularly.
As you wear them, the patent leather pants will conform to your body and become less stiff. Over time, the patent leather pants will loosen up and the squeaking will stop.
There benefit to breaking in your patent leather pants is that it usually requires no extra steps or materials. With that said, it is important to know how to properly break in your patent leather pants so that they don’t rip or tear. Here are a few tips on how to break in patent leather pants:
- Start by wearing them around the house for short periods of time.
- You can wear them for about 15-30 minutes.
- While wearing them do well to move about and if possible, try and walk in them.
- This will help loosen up the patent leather pants and prevent any stretching or tearing.
- Gradually increase the kind of activities you do and the amount of time you spend wearing them until you can wear them all day long without hearing any squeaking sounds.
- Once they are broken in, you can wear them out and about without any issues.
If you’re in a hurry, though, and want to make patent leather pants not squeak right away, there are a few methods you can try.
2. Apply Mineral Oil to The Patent Leather Pants
Another simple yet effective way to stop your patent leather pants from making squeaking sounds is to apply mineral or olive oil to them.
This will help lubricate the surface of the patent leather and make it less stiff. As a result, you will experience less noise when walking in them. You may be wondering if this might work with patent leather having its surface completely sealed.
There are two ways applying mineral oil or olive would work. The first would be to reduce the surface friction between the legs, thighs, or seat area. The other, and more common way, is that the oil will gradually soak into the leather and soften it up, just as if you had worn them over time.
In either case, it is an easy method to make patent leather pants not squeak without doing much work. All you need is a bottle of mineral or olive oil. The downside to this method is that you have to reapply the oil every few days or weeks, depending on how often you wear the pants.
Another downside is that if you apply too much oil, it may make the patent leather pants look greasy or dirty. However, this is certainly one of the most effective ways to stop patent leather pants from squeaking.
To apply mineral oil or olive oil to your patent leather pants:
- Step 1: Pour a small amount of oil onto a cloth.
- Step 2: Rub the cloth on the surface of the patent leather pants in a circular motion.
- Make sure to focus your application in-between the thighs, legs, seams, and the booty area.
- If you have a lot of oil, you can also pour it into a spray bottle and lightly spray the pants.
- Step 3: Thoroughly buff the surface of your pants to remove any excess oil residue.
- You may need to do this every few days or weeks, depending on how often you wear the pants.
- Again, reapply as necessary.
3. Apply Vaseline to The Seams of The Patent Leather Pants
A much simpler yet effective approach to the mineral oil technique is to use Vaseline on the seams of your patent leather pants. Chances are a lot of the squeaking sounds will be coming from the areas where the patent leather meets, such as the seams.
By applying a thin layer of Vaseline to these areas, you will reduce the surface friction and stop the pants from squeaking. The Vaseline will help lubricate the surface and reduce noise when you walk.
It is a quick and easy way to make patent leather pants not squeak without doing much work. Plus, you probably already have some Vaseline lying around your house.
This method is very easy to do and all you need is a jar of Vaseline. However, it may not be as long-lasting as mineral oil. To apply Vaseline to the seams of your patent leather pants:
- Step 1: Rub a small amount of Vaseline onto your fingers.
- Step 2: Apply the Vaseline to the seams of your patent leather pants.
- Make sure to focus on the areas where you hear the most noise when walking.
- Such as the leg, thigh areas, and booty.
- Step 3: Thoroughly buff the seams to remove any excess Vaseline residue.
- Do this every few days or weeks, depending on how often you wear your pants.
4. Use A Hairdryer On Low Heat
If you don’t want to use any type of oil on your patent leather pants, then another way to make them stop squeaking is by using a hairdryer on low heat. This will help soften up the leather and reduce noise when you walk.
This is possible because patent leather usually has a plastic coating which you can soften by applying very low heat to it. It is an easy method that doesn’t require a lot of work. Plus, you probably already have a hairdryer lying around your house. To use this method;
- Step 1: Plug in your hair dryer and set it to the low heat setting.
- Step 2: Turn on the hairdryer and hold it a few inches away from the patent leather pants.
- Step 3: Move the hairdryer up and down, back and forth over the surface of the pants.
- Make sure to cover all areas, such as the seams, legs, and thighs.
- Step 4: Hold the hairdryer in place for a few minutes.
- Do this for about five to seven minutes until the leather is soft and no longer squeaks.
- Step 5: Let the pants cool down before wearing them.
- You may need to do this every few days, depending on how often you wear the pants.
5. Purchase The Right Size Patent Leather Pants
If you’re having a lot of trouble trying to make your patent leather pants not squeak, then the best solution may be to just purchase the right size. This is because if the pants are too tight or too loose, they will start to make noise when you walk.
It is important to get fitted for patent leather pants because they usually run a size smaller than your regular pants size. So, if you usually wear a size 6 in jeans, you would need to purchase a size eight in patent leather pants.
This is because the patent leather material is very stiff and it needs some extra room to move around. If the pants are too tight, they will start to make noise when you walk. And if the pants are too loose, they will flap around and also make noise.
So, it is important to get fitted for the right size and to also buy a size up so that the pants have some extra room to move.
Patent leather pants can be a bit of a pain to keep from squeaking. But, by using one of the methods mentioned in this article, you should be able to reduce the noise significantly.
Just make sure to test out each method and see which one works best for you. And, remember to apply whichever method every few days or weeks, depending on how often you wear your pants.
Thanks for reading! I hope this article was helpful in teaching you how to make patent leather pants not squeak. 🙂