If you’re looking to do some doodling, coloring, or mark on your faux leather and you’re wondering if sharpies will work, you’ve come to the right place! This guide is going to take an in-depth look at whether sharpie also known as permanent marker works on faux leather.
Does sharpie work on faux leather? Sharpie works on faux leather, and it’s actually one of the best ways to color or doodle on your faux leather goods because it is easy to use, has great saturation, fade resistance, and it adheres to faux leather surface very well.
Using a sharpie on your faux leather is also a great way to add an accent color to your faux leather goods without having to pay for customization.
The only thing you need to know is that sharpie marks are permanent so will need to be careful when using it on your faux leather items.
How Do You Use Sharpie On Your Faux Leather?
Follow the step-by-step guide below to learn how to use a sharpie on faux leather!
- Faux Leather Item
- Sharpies in different colors
- Rag or Cloth
- Faux Leather Cleaner (one of my favorite is the Angelus Cleaners)
- Leather Preparer Or Deglazer (like the Anglelus Leather Preparer)
- Finisher (You can go for this finisher from Anglelus)
- Masking Tape
- Soft Bristle Brush
Step 1: Clean The Surface
- Make sure the surface of your faux leather is clean before you do any work on it.
- You can use soap and water to wipe down your faux leather item before working on it.
- You can also use my personal go-to cleaner which is the Angelus Cleaners.
- If the faux leather surface you want to use the sharpie on is new you do not have to clean the faux leather. Simply move on to the next step.
Step 2: Marking Out
- Mark out the surface of the faux leather item where you would want to use the sharpie.
- You can tape off the rest of the faux leather surface to avoid any unwanted marks.
- Make sure to get the right tape and do not leave the tape on the faux leather shoes overnight as it can leave behind residue.
Step 3: Prepare Or Deglaze The Faux Leather Surface
- Now that you know where you’re using your sharpie, apply the leather preparer or deglazer using a clean rag or cotton pads.
- It is not necessary to deglaze the entire surface of the faux leather item except you’re going to be painting the entire surface of the faux leather item with the sharpie.
- Deglazing the faux leather surface first helps to ensure that the sharpie sticks.
Step 4: Apply The Sharpie
- Now start to apply the sharpie like you used to apply color pencil or crayon in a coloring book.
- Make sure to apply event strokes in a back and forth manner for more even application.
- Apply the sharpie until you’ve reached the desired look you want.
Step 5: Set With A Finisher
- Once you’re done applying your sharpie, dip your brush into the finisher and apply it over the sharpie application.
- This prevents the sharpie from fading over time.
Step 6: Air-Dry
- Leave to air-dry and you’re done!
The Pros And Cons Of Using Sharpie On Faux Leather
There are some awesome benefits to using sharpie on faux leather.
The benefits of using sharpie include: Sharpies are easily available at average retail prices, you can use it to color or doodle on your faux leather goods, the permanent marker works well with most kinds of faux leather.
The only downside to using sharpie on faux leather is that the sharpie ink doesn’t last as long on some types of faux leather like soft or nubuck.
The Pros Of Using Sharpie On Faux Leather
- Shapie Is Easy To Use On Faux Leather
Sharpie is easy to use especially when compared to other kinds of faux leather coloring like paint.
Sharpie is easy to use especially for people with little painting experience because it offers an even application.
Sharpie is also easy to use because it adheres well even on surfaces that are not very porous.
Sharpies are permanent markers that make it very easy to color or doodle on your faux leather goods.
It is a great beginner tool for those who want to explore doodling on faux leather goods.
You can simply pick one up like you do a regular pen or marker and start doodling on your faux leather goods.
It is very easy to control and the result is usually professional looking even if it is an absolute beginner who is applying the sharpie.
If you’re looking for a quick and easy solution to personalize your faux leather goods, this is it!
2. Sharpie Has Great Saturation On Faux Leather
Sharpies are known for their rich color saturation. This is excellent when you want to achieve a particular look on your faux leather goods like coloring in a picture or doodling.
If you are looking for that beautiful rich color saturation on your faux leather goods, the sharpie is a good option.
The sharpie has a great color range and can be used on practically all types of faux leather goods except for nubuck and soft faux leather.
It also has great color-fading resistance and does not fade easily when exposed to the elements like regular markers do.
3. Sharpie Is Permanent On Faux Leather
Sharpies are permanent markers, so once you use them on your faux leather goods there’s no getting it off.
This is the main reason why it’s important to be careful when using sharpies on faux leather.
There are some tricks to remove sharpie from non-porous surfaces, but it will not be possible on porous surfaces like real leather.
The good news is that if you use a sharpie on your faux leather goods, it will give them a cool look that will be permanent.
And as mentioned before, they are fading resistant especially when properly finished with a good finisher.
This is great if you want to save money on customization fees or want to DIY your faux leather goods.
4. Sharpies Come In A Wide Variety Of Colors
Sharpie has a wide variety of colors available for use on faux leather. From black to silver, pink to blue and everything in between sharpie is the way to go.
Sharpies are available in a wide variety of colors that will work for any design you want to do on your faux leather goods.
There are some colors that will work better than others, but as long as you’re using sharpie you can be sure to get very professional-looking work done.
5. Sharpies Are Affordable
Sharpie markers are extremely affordable, and if you’re looking for a way to customize your faux leather products without spending too much money sharpies are for you.
The good news is that even though they’re affordable, there’s no need to worry about quality when it comes to sharpies.
Sharpie is one of the most trusted brands in markers, and they’re made to last!
Sharpie offers up a wide variety of colors that will work on faux leather, and you can be sure to get your money’s worth because they’re made with high-quality ink.
The Downside To Using Sharpies On Faux Leather
Sharpie is one of the best ways to add a design or color to your faux leather goods, but there are some downsides that you should be aware of.
One of the biggest downsides of using sharpie on faux leather is that sharpies are permanent on faux leather, which means they will not come off if you use them on your faux leather goods.
If you’re not careful when coloring or doodling with a sharpie, there’s a good chance you will mess up your faux leather goods.
This is one of the main reasons why it’s important to be careful when using sharpies on faux leather because if you mess up there’s no way to get the sharpie marks off.
So if you’re wondering if sharpie works on faux leather, there you have it. Not only do they work on faux leather but it is actually one of the best tools for marking, painting, or doodling designs onto faux leather.
Sharpies have a great color selection, are rich in saturation, and come with a wide variety of colors that will work on most faux leather goods.
Sharpies are also made with high-quality ink that is fade-resistant and will not come off when exposed to the elements like other markers do.
However, the biggest downside to using sharpies on faux leather is that they are permanent and will not come off if you use them on your faux leather goods.
Be careful when using sharpie markers and make sure you finish the design with a good finisher to ensure that your faux leather goods look professional and last a long time.