We’re all not a fan of the uncomfortable feel of new shoes or boots. Especially when you know you have to wear them for long periods of time, like at a wedding or on a hike.
The good news is that there are ways to help make the breaking-in process easier, and one of those ways is by using mink oil. It works by softening the fibers of the leather, making it more pliable and, therefore, more comfortable to wear.
Continue reading as I bring you more details on how mink oil help to break in boots and how to do it in a few simple steps effectively.
Breaking In Boots With Mink Oil
If you’ve ever purchased a new pair of boots, then you know the feeling of excitement and dread that comes along with it.
Excitement because they’re new and look great, but dread because you know you have to break them in first.
Breaking in new shoes or boots can be a pain, literally. But there are ways to make the process easier, and one of those ways is by using mink oil.
If done properly, your boots will not only be comfortable to wear, but they’ll also be better protected against the elements.
So, if you’re ready to learn how to break in your boots with mink oil, then read on for all the details.
How Does Mink Oil Help Break In Boots?
1. Mink Oil Softens The Boots Fibers
Mink oil basically breaks in leather boots by softening their fibers. This is probably the most important way mink oil helps break in boots.
Boots made from real leather materials are made up of multiple layers of natural fibers that lend leather its durability and tensile strength.
The fibrous layer of leather also determines how comfortable the boots will be to wear. If this layer is too stiff, it can cause discomfort and even pain when wearing the boots for extended periods of time.
Mink oil contains conditioning properties that can help soften the fibers of your leather boots.
This, as a result, gradually makes the leather material more pliable and, therefore, more comfortable to wear.
2. Mink Oil Protects The Boots During The Breaking In Process
Another way mink oil helps break in boots is by protecting them.
Mink oil contains a variety of natural oils and waxes that can help create a barrier against water and other elements as you break in your boots.
This, in turn, protects your boots as it expands or contracts during the breaking-in process.
Additionally, mink oil can also help preserve the leather material and keep it from drying out.
This is especially important if you plan on wearing your boots in wet or humid conditions as it helps prevent water damage.
Additionally, mink oil can also help protect your boots against salt stains and other types of stains that can occur over time.
So, not only will using mink oil help break in your new boots, but it will also help keep them looking newer for longer.
3. Mink Oil Helps To Maintain The New Shape After Breaking In
The breaking-in process usually involves a lot of bending, stretching, and walking.
All of this movement allows the boots to take a new form to help accommodate the new shape of your feet, so you are comfortable wearing them.
And not only that, the mink oil is what allows the leather boots to not only take the new shape of your feet but also allows it to remain in that shape.
This is so that every time you wear your boots, they are as comfortable as they can be.
How To Break In Your Boots With Mink Oil?
Now that you know all the ways mink oil helps break in boots, it’s time to learn how actually to do it. Here are the simple steps you need to follow;
- Start by taking a clean cloth and wiping down your boots to remove any dirt or debris that may be on them.
- Next, take a small amount of mink oil and rub it into the leather material using circular motions.
- Once you’ve applied the mink oil evenly, put on your socks and boots and walk around in them for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove your boots and socks and allow them to air dry.
- Repeat this process once a day for the first week or two until your boots are broken in and comfortable to wear.
And voila! You’ve done it! By following these simple steps, you can easily break in your new leather boots using mink oil. Not only will they be more comfortable to wear, but they’ll also last you much longer.
Important Tips To Remember When Breaking In Boots With Mink Oil
Now that you know how to break in your new leather boots using mink oil, here are a few important tips to remember;
- Always start with clean boots. This will help ensure that the mink oil is absorbed evenly and doesn’t cause any damage to the leather material.
- Apply a small amount of mink oil at a time. You can always add more if needed, but it’s better to start with less and build up as you go.
- Be sure to walk around in your boots after applying the mink oil. This will help the mink oil to penetrate the leather material and speed up the breaking-in process.
- It is important to know that your boots will darken after applying mink oil. This is normal and will usually lighten back up after a few days.
- Applying too much mink oil can cause your boots to become sticky.
- Always wipe away excess mink oil residue after oiling your boots.
- Only use a non-abrasive cloth like a microfiber cloth to avoid damaging the leather material.
- Never use mink oil on suede or nubuck leather boots, as it will cause irreversible damage.
Breaking in your new leather boots is an important process that will help them last much longer. And by using mink oil, you can easily do it at home with little to no effort.
So, if you’re looking for an effective and easy way to break in your new boots, then be sure to give mink oil a try. You won’t be disappointed.
I really appreciate you hanging around till the end of this article. If you have any questions or would like to share your own experiences with breaking in boots, then please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.
As always, thanks for reading, and Happy Trails!