If you work a lot with threads and cords then you you will by now know that cigarette lighters and matches don’t work well at all when finishing off the ends of threads but instead a thread zapper is a much better alternative. After searching for a couple of months online, I found 4 best thread zappers that blew me away and I’m ready to share with you all I found.
So what are the best thread Zappers? The best thread zappers for all crafters to work with threads and cords are;
- BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II Burner Tool – Best All-Round
- BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer – Best Budget Pick
- The Max Wax & Thread Burner Pen – (Best Durable & Most Versatile)
- Beadalon Wildfire Cord Cutter – (Best Budget Pick)
In addition to the list above, there are factors you should consider in order to make the perfect choice. Keep reading to find out more!
Guide: Factors To Consider With Thread Zappers
There are a few very important things to look for when you’re choosing a good thread zapper for your craft. While there are a lot of definitive factors you will consider, here are the most important factors:
1. Heating: You would want to find out how fast the Thread Zapper reaches its maximum temperature and possibly how long it takes for it to cool when not in use. Generally, most thread zappers will not take more than 5 seconds to heat up.
2. Batteries Life: The battery life is also very important. You would want to know how many batteries is required for this tool and also have a fair idea on how fast the thread zapper will burn through batteries.
Generally, most thread zappers will take 1 or 2 batteries (AA batteries) and will take on average 2-4hours to burn through them depending on the brand.
3. Safety: With this type of tool that involves heat, you will want to know its safety features on it that makes it safe to use. While most of the thread zappers will have a cap to secure it’s tip, others will be retractable. These are quite standard safety features you will find on these tools.
4. Tip Fineness: The filament tips on thread zappers may vary slightly. While others will be great for much heavier threads and cords, you will have others with fine tips for small size precision burns.
Here’s the details on the best thread zappers highlighted above, along with their Amazon links. So here they are in no particular order!
1. BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II – (Best All-Round)
- Product Dimensions: 9 x 1 x 3 inches
- Product Weight: 1.44 ounces
- Material: Plastic & Steel
This thread zapper from the Bead Smith has undergone several great changes to get it to this point where it’s simple the best on the market right now. What you stand to get from this tool is an absolute high-quality tool you will be able to consistently trim, burn, and melt threads all in one touch.
For the quality you will be getting with the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II , I must add it’s comparatively low-priced, generally below $13. You can check out it’s current price on Amazon since there’re always changing.
This thread zapper’s tips heats up instantly as soon as it’s triggered with it’s button and can heat-up up to about 700 degrees F (371 degree C) in a matter of 2-3 seconds . The same way it heats up is the same it cools immediately you let go of it’s trigger button.
This thread zapper has a clear plastic cap that secures both the filament tip and the trigger button. The cap essentially ensures you don’t break off its coil tip and turning on the tip unintentionally.
The BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II has a really fine extra filament tip that will allow you to make precision burns even on the most finest threads and knots. This feature makes it ideal for making finishing touches on bead weaving and stringing projects.
The BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II is battery operated but the product itself doesn’t come with batteries. However, getting a battery for this tool isn’t that complicated. You only need 1 AA battery to get it fired up. The average battery life for this tools is 3hours of accumulated use.
The overall design of this tool allows you to hold and handle it like you would a sharpie and this will give you a very comfortable grip and a lot of control. It’s replaceable filament tip design will make it possible for you to easily fix replaceable tips which are sold separately.
- Easy to use.
- Due to its consistent heating, it’s great if you want a zapper you can use consistently for quite a long time.
- Fast heating.
- Nicely cut ventilation that allows the tool to cool really fast when it’s not in use.
- Inexpensive to replace its tips.
- Comes with a removable head, meaning you can replace the it’s tips when it wears out.
- Would have been great if it came with at least a set of batteries.
- Its plastic cap doesn’t have a snag and so it tends to weaken and doesn’t securely cover the tip like it’s supposed to.
Overall, I find this to be an all-round tool and is very ideal for beginner crafters who don’t want to spend a lot of cash but at the same time want something really solid and of great quality that can be used generally for standard craft projects with basic level and some intermediate level threads and cords.
If you’re interested in this thread zapper from BeadSmith, you can check it out over here on Amazon for additional information on pricing and shipping.
2. BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer – (Best Safety Model)
- Product Dimensions: 3 x 2 x 0.5 inches
- Product Weight: 0.32 ounces
- Material: Plastic & Steel
The BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer is the newly improved Ultra Thread Zap. This another of BeadSmith tools that has seen really great improvements. What stands out with this tool when compared to the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II is the difference in terms of safety and ergonomic design.
The BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer safety feature offers something more reliable that makes it much safer to use. Also, with its ergonomic design, it’s designed away from the pen-like structure that most thread zappers come with, thus giving you a much solid grip.
The BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer is priced under $10, you will not be disappointed with the overall quality of this tool. Check out its current price on Amazon!
Generally, although the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer heats up almost immediately, it, however, takes almost twice as long to get to its maximum temperature when compared to the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II. When heated, about half of its tip becomes red hot.
This is the unofficial safety model of all thread zappers because it has been well optimized for safety. The key safety feature of the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer is how it’s tips retracts securely into its handle body. This is to ensure no form of accident occurs with this tool.
To further ensure the level of safety on this device, a safety clip is positioned to prevent the switch from being mistakenly pushed on. To use, the safety clip must be completely removed before it can be turned on.
This tool has a relatively shorter tip compared to the others on this list. This makes it a lot stiffer and firmer. Meaning you can apply a bit of force to it and it won’t wobble like most other zappers would.
The BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer requires 2 Triple A batteries. The package doesn’t come with it and need to be bought separately.
The design for this thread zapper ergonomically designed for comfort. It fits in the palm very comfortably and has a really cool hidden compartment on it that can store one extra replaceable head.
There are also replaceable tips available for sale separately incase the 2 tips it comes with wear out.
- There’s a guarantee you will most likely never burn your finger due to it’s high level safety features.
- Low priced.
- It feels really good and fits the hand very comfortably.
- It may take some time before you get used to it’s bulky handy and retractable tip.
All in all, the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer is a go-to if you want a thread zapper that’s super safe to use when compared to all the others on the market and is also super affordable, then this thread zapper is certainly right for you.
If you’re interested in the The BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer, you can check it out over here on Amazon for additional information.
3. The Max Wax & Thread Burner Pen – (Best Durable & Most Versatile)
- Product Dimensions: 7.5 x 0.7 inches
- Product Weight: 2.24 ounces
- Material: Plastic
The Max Wax pen tool is a versatile tool that can be used for wax carving and as a thread burner or zapper. Comparatively, the Max Wax Pen is more durable and weightier because it’s built to be used as a wax carving tool which requires a much longer use.
When compared interns of price, the Max Wax pen tool is more expensive, more than double the price of the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer and the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II. It will cost you anywhere between $25 and $33. You check out it’s latest price on Amazon here!
The Max Wax pen has the highest among all of the thread burners. It’s can instantly heat up to 850 degrees F (454 degrees C) when triggered and just like the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer and the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II it’s runs on a finger pressure control.
Although the safety feature on the Max Wax pen isn’t anything like the BeadSmith TZ1400 Thread Trimmer, it’s, however, a lot safer with it’s trigger button being very broad and flat unlike the small bumpy one on the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II which can accidentally be pushed.
But apart from that, it’s has the push-to-use type of twitch and works quite safely. The heater stops as soon as the trigger is released.
Because the Max Wax pen doubles as a carving tool, it’s tips are really fine just like the BeadSmith Cordless Thread Zapper II. So you will be able to make precision burns and wax carvings with the Max Wax pen.
In terms of battery, the Max Wax pen is powered by 1 AA battery just like the Zap II. The good thing is, it comes with a battery unlike the others which doesn’t and has a specially designed battery caps to reduced any issue related to battery not having contact.
It also has the pen-like shape like the zap II which is great because it feels just like holding a regular pen or sharpie. It’s design to have a broad flat trigger button that will give you more room to press instead of the tiny bump on the zap II.
- Versatile that is, it’s a carving, for design work, and a thread zapper all in one.
- Easy to use.
- Has a solid and a more durable build.
- Comes with its own battery
- It’s very pricy
To sum up, I must say this a rock solid tool and it’s a sure way to go if you want a Thread Zapper that’s a bit more robust and versatile and you’re willing to invest a bit more cash, then the Max Wax pen is a great alternative.
If you’re interested in this tool, you can check it out over here on Amazon for additional information.
4. Beadalon Wildfire Cord Cutter – (Best Budget Pick)
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.7 x 0.8 inches
- Product Weight: 0.16 ounces
- Material: Plastic
The Beadalon Wildfire Cord Cutter at first glance looks just like the zap II but they’re actually different. This zapper is branded as a cord cutter and is well differentiated from the other brands on the market. It’s particularly great for use on nylon, poly-cords, and many different stringing materials.
The Wildfire is the least expensive thread zapper when compared to the ones mentioned earlier. It’s cost generally below $8. You can check out it’s currnet price on Amazon since they’re always changing.
Again these thread zappers have a basic safety feature of a hold-to-use-button. What separates the Wildfire from the zap II is how the trigger button has been color coded almost to clearly signal the user an exact point to press.
The Beadalon has it’s own range of cords that the tips are awesome for. However, it works great for all sorts of threads and cords as well. Just like the zap II and the Max Wax, the Wild fire makes really great precision burns. The Wildfire has a more secure cap protecting it’s tips than the zap II.
The Beadalon Wildfire Cord Cutter uses 2 triple A batteries. The package doesn’t come with batteries though and so you are required to get them separately.
The overall design is more slender and so fits the hand almost like a pen. This makes it very comfortable to use. The cap for its ends are more durable and fits very well.
- Budget friendly.
- Great for cutting cords.
- You order 1 and you could get 2 more zappers for free.
- Very easy to use and store.
- Highly efficient.
- Doesn’t come with a battery
In the end, the Beadalon Wildfire Cord Cutter works just like most thread zappers but the only difference is that it’s at a much cheaper price and it’s a great solution for beginners.
If you’re interested in this thread zapper, you can check it out over here on Amazon for any additional information you may need.
With many crafters like you and I working at producing the best of products for ourselves, family, friends, and clients, having reliable and the right set of tools is essential to succeed.
The best thread zappers for crafters I reviewed above were selected based on how well they heat up, safety features, batteries, design, and price.
These thread zappers are generally low end tools but we all have our budgets and no matter what that budget is, your assured of being able to find a matching thread zapper.
Before picking a thread zapper for your thread zapping and burning purposes, ensure to follow the outlined guide carefully.
Above all, it’s crucial to select a thread zapper that matches your intended use. Do not simply pick any thread zapper in the market. Only go for one that guarantees the best value for your money.
I’m happy to have shared this with you and hope you find it helpful!